My Latest (Possibly Not So) Great Endeavor
Ok, I’ve been looking for something to break the monotony of my fitness routine, something that would keep me motivated, challenged, and help me establish a functional fitness level that I can carry on for years to come.
Soooo, I made a decision that will either be foolish or genius, and only time will tell.
I joined CrossFit.
This morning I finished my final on-ramp workout session at CrossFit Boom just off 287 and Calendar Rd. It was capped off by my first AMRAP workout (“As Many Rounds As Possible”), which involved a giant metal ‘yoke’ and a very heavy kettle bell. I got in 8.5 rounds in 10 minutes.
I. Was. Gassed.
My hands are still shaking a bit as I type this post. Its been a hour.
My plan is to dive into CrossFit for 90 days. I want to do all that I can, as hard as I can, and then evaluate. What excites me about CrossFit isn’t Paleo or the striped tube socks, but rather:
- A program that is modified to fit my experience, fitness level, and personal goals.
- Exercises comprised of core, compound movements that will bring strength, stability, capacity, and endurance for life.
- A group environment that adds encouragement, comradery, accountability, and friendly competition.
- A regimen that is laid out for me. I don’t have to come up with stuff to do that will continue to challenge my body.
- Cool workout lingo, such as: Skill pistols Strength 3rm push press Metcon 5 min AMRAP 2 power cleans 2 STOH 155/105 (OK, I’m still not sure what all that means).
And, hey, I already made the website:
So, we’ll see how this new journey goes. I’ll keep you posted along the way. Are you a CrossFitter? I’d love to hear your experiences.